- Look for gifts that are durable, repairable, or recyclable, with minimal plastic packaging
- Shop locally, or consider fair trade purchases
- Give someone a membership to a museum or institute, plant a tree in their name, or consider purchasing a gift from Heifer International or Oxfam America
- Recycle by wrapping gifts using sheet music or colorful magazine ads- you'll save money, too!
- It takes 7-10 years to grow a Christmas tree- which is usualy useful for about one month. Consider purchasing a potted tree that can be kept alive outdoors throughout the year.
- Ingredients for holiday meals usually travel about 1200 miles before showing up on our tables. That transit takes a lot of fuel and a lot of refrigeration. Purchasing locally-grown and in-season items can cut down on this behind-the-scenes waste.